Registration for the first round of the American Homebrewer’s Association National Homebrew Competition is now open. Visit the AHA’s website to register your entries and for more information on the competition. There are two important rule changes to this year’s competition that are worth mentioning here (taken from the official NHC 2011 Rules and Regulations):
- Judging Centers. In 2011, there are no pre-defined regions in the US to which you must enter. Instead, you must choose one of nine Judging Centers to which you will send all your entries. You must choose your Judging Center when you register your entries online; see this map for the Judging Center locations. You can only enter and send your entries to one Judging Center. Each Judging Center has a 750 entry limit. Once a Judging Center has reached the 750 maximum, no more entries will be allowed for that Judging Center. If you register your entries with one Judging Center and later try to add more entries after the Judging Center has hit the 750 limit, you will not be able to register the additional entries.
- Bottle Requirements. The bottle requirements have changed slightly for 2011. Bottles must contain a minimum of 10 oz and must fit in a standard case box slot. The measurements of a standard case box slot are 2.75 inches L x 2.75 in W x 9 in H (7 cm x 7 cm x 22.9 cm).
Entry deadlines are from March 21 to March 30 and depending upon which Judging Center you choose. Good luck!
Our first newsletter on the new website!
In this issue:
Come join us this Friday, February 18th! At this monthly meeting will discuss making meads. Bring in your meads to share with fellow club members, along with any questions you may have about the mead making process. All interested parties welcomed. Bring a friend!
Online Registration @ http://bockfest.brewcompetition.com/
Categories:The Bockfest Competition is strictly limited to the following categories as defined in the 2008 BJCP Style Guidelines.
- 5A – Maibock/Helles Bock
- 5B – Traditional Bock
- 5C – Doppelbock
- 5D – Eisbock
- 15C – Weizenbock
- 16E* – Belgian Specialty Ale (bocks)
- 22* – Smoked and Wood Aged (bocks)
- 23* – Specialty (bocks)
- *Base style must be 5A, 5B, 5C, 5D, or 15C and must be clearly indicated on the entry.
Special Prize:The Christian Moerlein brewing company will select one entry from the Traditional Bock (5B) category to be used as the recipe for a special 2012 Bock release.
We are currently looking for entries, judges, and stewards for the event. The competition is BJCP-sanctioned, and BJCP points will be awarded. Information for the Cincinnati Bockfest celebration including the parade, brewery tours, music, and venues can be found at www.bockfest.com
Entry Information: All details at http://bockfest.brewcompetition.com/
Come brewout in the Garagemajal with your fellow Bloats. Water (filtered and for chilling) and electricity provided.
Bring a dish and homebrew to share!
Brewers can bring equipment over on Friday night after 7 and setup, or early Saturday morning. Many of us will be there by 7-8am to get started, but other prefer to brew later… up to you.
1453 Covered Bridge Road Cincinnati, OH 45231-2422